Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Horror Story I Don't Mind

Scared Out of My Mind after Paranormal Activity
This summer I was introduced to a terrifying new genre - horror.  I absolutely HATE scary movies but by spending time with my friends I was forced into viewing some.  Paranormal Activity 1&2, Insidious, Zombieland (okay, that one was funny), and most recently Quarantine II, are just some of the movies I've had to suffer through - clinging to my friends, almost in tears.  I really hate scary movies and I dread the day Paranormal Activity 3 is released in theaters.  Almost against my will therefore, I find myself listening to Frankenstein - A New Musical while I update this post about a scary book I really don't mind.  Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is actually pretty interesting.  It's the tragic story of a boy who looses the perfect life.  Young Victor Frankenstein has a loving family, a true love who he has known since childhood, and the ability to become a great influence to the scientific community.  However, due to a series of small triggers including the discovery of a book on ancient scientific theories, the death of his mother, and a professor who gets him interested in chemistry, Victor strays from his perfect path.  He becomes obsessed with creating life and therefore becoming a powerful idol who can save humanity.  His experiments go terribly wrong, however, when he creates this mutated collection of rag tag pieces from the deceased and brings it to life.  Now, the monster is loose and wreaking havoc.  Where I am now, Frankenstein's monster has already killed Victor's youngest brother.  A servant, who was almost like a mother to the boy, was blamed and put to death for the crime as well.  Victor is suffering because, due to his mistakes, the people he loves are being attacked.  If the musical I've seen follows the plot of the novel, by the end everyone will die ATLEAST once and Victor will have to live with his actions and their consequences.  Overall, its a very morbid story that is somehow attractive.  Much better than Paranormal Activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment