Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Currently Part 2

I jumped ahead of myself last week!  I did the Currently post before it was actually assigned, and I did it wrong.  Instead of the normal quotes, this week I am to choose my favorite for the quarter.  So here they are - my favorite sentences from the first nine weeks of school.


1. "I have no idea how people function without near-constant internal chaos." A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

2. "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities” Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

3. "I'm sure people would be far gladder if they simply stopped searching for all the causes of their unhappiness." The Magicians and Mrs. Quent
 
 
I like this first sentence because, as I've said in earlier posts, it is both profound and fitting.  I'm very busy, so the idea that someone else shares my constant internal chaos is comforting.  As the band season is drawing to a close I'm beginning to wonder how I will function without that super busy schedule.  I often find that once I have more free time my grades ironically fall, so maybe that near-constant pressure is something that keeps me going.  The second sentence is from one of my favorite books ever!  It's a great thought, especially since I consider myself about average in everything I do.  I enjoy many things and I am decent at most of them, but I have no one great ability.  It's nice to think, therefore, that even though I'm not the best at anything, my good choices can still act to define me in a more positive light.  Finally, the last sentence is interesting because it is true.  As I was looking for sentences for my A.P. Comp extra credit, I realized that there is a very similar quote in Jane Eyre (which The Magicians and Mrs. Quent was partially based on), but I almost feel like this version of the sentiment is better expressed.  Its simple and profound and should therefore be taken to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment