Friday, October 7, 2011

Currently


Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
Pages Read this Week: 100
Pages Read this Semester: 885

Sentences of the Week:

1. "The merit of all things lies in their difficulty." The Three Musketeers

2. "It's the job that's never started that takes longest to finish.” The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

3. "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities” Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


As you may have noticed, none of my sentences this week came from the books I am currently reading.  This is not due to an absence of interesting sentences in what I am reading now, but due to an extra credit project I am doing for A.P. Comp.  This "writing portfolio" includes favorite quotations, so I spent the other day scouring through books I have read to find meaningful statements.  These three stuck out to me because they come from some of my favorites.  The Three Musketeers is probably my all time favorite book.  I love the story of friendship and adventure and, even though most teens would find reading it tedious, I believe this book by Alexandre Dumas is brilliant.  In fact, I joined fencing because of its influence and even dressed up as a Musketeer for Halloween one year.  Yeah, its a bit of an obsession.  In truth, there are about five books in the musketeer series, and guess what, I've read them all.  This particular line I like because it means something.  It makes me feel better about my overstressed attitude - since band and all my advanced classes are difficult, they must mean something.  The second line is great as well! Its hobbit philosophy that sort of relates to the quote from The Three Musketeers.  Great advice for the procrastinators of the world.  The Lord of the Rings is a fantastic collection of books that I am also pretty obsessed with, but it can be rather long winded.  This particular line I found interesting partially due to its simplicity.  Finally, the last line from Harry Potter is just perfect.  Who says its only a children's book?  Quotes like that don't show up in Mother Goose.  So there are some of my favorite sentences from some of my favorite books!  I didn't read them for the first time this week, but I rediscovered them and enjoyed the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment