Friday, November 4, 2011

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain
Pages Read in the Last Two Weeks: 214
Pages Read this Semester: 1,203

Sentences of the Week:

1. "Contantinopolitanischerdudelsackspfeifenmachersgesellschafft!" ("The Bagpipe Manufacturers Company of Constantinople" in German) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain

2. "I could have eaten with the hogs if I had had birth approaching my lofty official rank; but I hadn't, and so accepted the unavoidable slight and made no complain." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain

3. "She never had any ideas, any more than a fog has." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain

I'm not really sure if my first sentence is truly a sentence, but the Boss used it as a spell to bring back the water to the monks.  I thought it was just a funny, made-up word, but the notation of the bottom of the page gives a translation!  Makes me want to learn how to speak German.  The second sentence is hilarious because of the context.  The Boss had been on this long quest to rescue trapped nobility with Sandy, but upon arriving at the "castle" they had been searching for, he discovered that it was merely a pig sty.  Sandy had this idea in her head that the pigs there were actually princesses and that they had an enchantment on them to make others see them as ugly.  In order to leave, the Boss humors her by buying the pigs and taking them to freedom.  On the journey home, Sandy insists on calling them by outrageously formal names of royalty and won't let the Boss abuse them in any way.  At one point, he grabs a pig by the tail to keep her from running away and Sandy becomes upset because he was apparently pulling on the train of the princess's dress.  Finally, they reach a cottage and spend the night there, with the pigs inside of course, and have breakfast in the morning.  Obviously, the Boss is not suited to eat alongside nobility, so he and Sandy sit separately.  I think the whole situation is really funny and very sarcastic - just the way I like it.  The final sentence is another great insult (I find myself drawn to these).  I hate stupid people.  This reminds me of a lot of them.  It was hard choosing sentences this week because the entire book is so funny.  There aren't many "one-liners," but entire situations have actually made me laugh out loud.  I can't wait to keep reading and I wish I hadn't let this book sit on my shelf for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment