Friday, August 26, 2011

Currently


A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers

Pages Read this Week: 108

Sentences of the Week:

1. "Our house is the one being swept up in the tornado, the little train-set model house floating helplessly, pathetically around in the howling black funnel." A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

2. "I have no idea how people function without near-constant internal chaos." A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

3. "This is like making electricity from dirt; it is almost too good to be believed, that we can make beauty from this stuff." A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

These are my favorite sentences I've read this week, in the order they appeared.  I found the first sentence interesting because it describes how Eggers felt as he lost both his parents - like everything was being pulled out from under him.  I can only imagine the pain he must have felt, but I think this sentence did a good job of conveying some of it.  The second sentence is probably the best I have read in a while.  I'm pretty busy with my random activities, school, and friends, so  I think I understand the idea of chaos.  I usually have a lot of thoughts running through my head and I'm not sure if I would function well with calm.  Finally, I thought the third sentence was just "staggering genius."  Eggers was speaking of the strange, destructive world we live in and how, despite the turmoil, beauty can still be seen.  I found that, along with most of the book, interesting and insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment